Take Care of Your Extensions
November 29 2018
Now that we’ve talked about how hair extensions can help you achieve your dream hair, it’s time to talk about how to care for them properly. To ensure a long-lived look, it’s essential to get the maintenance rituals down pat. Below, we will talk about the dos and don’ts when it comes to preserving these luxe hairdo additions. Read on to learn exactly how!
Proper care of your new extensions is important because you want your new investment to last and you also want to prevent damage to your natural hair. The natural oils of your scalp do a great job of helping to maintain your own tresses, but unfortunately they do not always reach the tips of your extensions.
Sulfate-free shampoo. While we recommend this for all hair, it's critical to wash your extensions with only sulfate- or paraben-free shampoo specifically on the roots. Here at Air Salon and Blow Dry Bar we recommend Kerastase products for your every hair care need.
Avoid over-washing. We recommend washing the hair as infrequently as possible and using a dry shampoo to absorb oils and make your hair feel and smell fresh. Certain hard or mineral intense water may also deteriorate bonds or the condition of the hair. Also, don’t sleep with wet hair. Once your hair extensions are completely dry, braid hair or tie it in a loose ponytail before bed.
Tame the tangles. Hair tangles are caused by the friction of your natural hair rubbing against your extensions. The best way to keep your extensions tangle-free is to develop a regular brushing routine. Brush 2 to 3 times a day and before showering or wetting the hair. Hold the roots of your hair with one hand while brushing in a downward motion with the other. Brush gently, and be particularly careful with the bonds.
Avoid Heat. Don’t use heat tools too often. Just like with natural hair, too much mechanical heat will damage your extensions. When you do use heat tools, be sure to use a heat protectant first.
If you have any additional questions about the care of your new extensions, our team of skilled artisans at Air Salon & Blow Dry Bar are here to help! We pride ourselves on helping you look and feel your best, and we have three locations to serve you – Mandeville, Baton Rouge, and Covington. Call to schedule an appointment at the location that’s most convenient for you, or use our mobile app to schedule it. You can download our app for free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon
- Proper Care for Your Hair Extensions
- Update Your Look this Season with Hair Extensions
- Should You Cut Bangs?
- Experience the Air Salon and Blow Dry Bar Mobile App
- Formal Hairstyles for Fall
- Get Fabulous Hair While You Sleep
- Update Your Hair Color for Fall
- The Perfect Part for You
- Try a New Look This Summer
- Kerastase Products for Beautiful Hair
- Get a Hot New Cut This Summer
- Lash Extensions for Instant Glam
- Have a Girl’s Day with Us!
- Keratin to the Rescue!
- Perfect Your Look with Lash & Brow Tinting
- All About Blowouts
- New Makeup for Spring
- Air Salon and Blow Dry Bar at Your Fingertips
- A Girl’s Night to Remember
- Try a Brazilian Blowout for a Smooth Finish
- Regular Facials Are More Than Just a Luxury
- Transform Your Lashes this Holiday Season
- Take Care of Your Extensions
- Update Your Style with Extensions
- Product Spotlight: Kerastase
- The Air Salon and Blow Dry Bar Mobile App
- Halo Couture Hair Extensions for a Fabulous Change
- Natural Looking Eyelash Extensions
- It's Almost Autumn -- Is Your Hair Ready?
- The Best Homecoming Dance Hairstyles
- Need A Change? Try Getting Bangs
- Keratin Treatments Are Your Frizzy Hair Solution
- Blonde Transition: What You Should Know About Going Blonde
- Everything You Need To Know About Eyelash Extensions
- Nourish Your Hair with Keratase Treatments
- Supercharge Your Supermom Powers with a Day at Our Salon
- Eat These Superfoods for Healthy Hair
- Create the Perfect Look For Your Wedding Day
- The Perfect Updo for Your Upcoming Spring Events
- Your Dream Hair Can Be Achieved with Hair Extensions
- Treat Skin Imperfections with Regular Facials
- A Guide on Hair Parts for the Shape of Your Face
- Enjoy a Day with Your friends at Our Salon
- Hair Colors Trending for 2018
- Kick Your Style Up a Notch
- A Look to Celebrate the Holidays
- ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW
- Coming Soon: Hot Hair Color Trends for 2019